Saturday, November 21, 2015

Bessie Knows Best

Just as Bessie Anne takes me for an outing in the morning, she also has me accompany her on a walkabout in the afternoon.  Bess always has my best interests at heart and knows when I need fresh air.  Some days we sit on the porch, but yesterday she suggested that we go out to the picnic table under the oak.  I had no objections so followed her lead.  From that vantage, the view was to the west, overlooking the upper corner of the goat pen.  It's common to see turkeys, vultures, and often the dinky birds sipping water from the trough, but I was startled yesterday when suddenly there was frantic splashing.  I almost started over there, worried that a bird had fallen in and was drowning.  Then I realized that the small birds ringing the edge were diving in for a quick bath, almost "walking on water" as they fluttered in and out.  There were dozens in the flock and they were having such a good time.  Every so often the group would fly off, returning for another dip and splash.  There are no dirty birds at Farview.

Bessie's timing had been perfect.  If she hadn't asked me along, I would have missed all the fun.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

What a wonderful thing to see...thanks for sharing the experience. Good job, Bess!