Saturday, November 14, 2015

The Long Way Home

It was another dreaded "go to town" day.  Nothing for it but to bite the bullet and go.  I wish flatlanders would realize that a truck does not handle curves like a sports car and that you can't make me go faster by riding on my back bumper.  One never knows when an animal (deer, cats, squirrels, etc.) is going to jump out into the road.  Hitting a deer would be awful, getting plowed into from behind would be worse, and swerving into oncoming traffic would be tragic.  There are not that many places to pull off to the side, but I know where they are and I always use them to let traffic go by.

Be that as it may, there were fewer cars on the road on the way home and I had a chance to actually look at the scenery.  Walnut trees in particular turn a glorious golden color in the fall.  Cold nights have tinged vineyards with reds, greens, and gold.  We seem to be in an every-seven-day cycle of rain and the hills are green again.  All that beauty almost makes a trip into town worthwhile.

Linda's path to her new home has had some glitches and pitfalls and there have been delays.  We are to meet for lunch today and I'm looking forward to that..

It's funny how quickly one can acclimate to cold weather.  (I never get used to heat in summer.)  A couple of freezing mornings and 50 degrees becomes shirt-sleeve weather.  There are times when I've got the wood stove going and it gets so warm in the house that I've had to open the front door!  Last night, with a couple of cats on my lap and a dog by my legs, I didn't even bother lighting the stove.

Thanksgiving is looming on the horizon.  While my Kids didn't grow up here, I think they're looking forward to "coming home." 

No comments: