Monday, November 30, 2015

South Pole

Hard to believe, but there is still hail in patches on the deck after five or six days.  I'd left the tap by the chicken pen just a little loose and yesterday there was a long icicle from the spout (glad I'd let it drip!).  I'd done the same thing with the faucet by the goat trough, which was covered with ice, and when I turned it on, ice cubes shot out of the short hose.  The hens are rapidly re-feathering from their moult and the girls' coats are furring up.  I know there are places in the world much colder (Siberia, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, etc.) but right here and now, it's what I'd call cold!  My phone app optimistically says it is 34 this morning, but the house thermometer tells me like it is, 30.

I'd foolishly not restocked the wood stove before going to the barn yesterday and when I got back to the house, it was warmer outside than in, and that's not saying much.  Wishing to get some feeling back in my frozen fingers, I took Bess and a book out to sit in the sunshine.  A little more disciplined than the last time, fifty pages was my limit yesterday.  It wasn't easy to put it down, but I did it.  I'm trying to curb my compulsions.

My phone tells me we're going to 48 today, but I'm not going to break out the bikini.  Seems more like parkas and fleece-lined boots would be better.

Note to self:  put more wood on the fire.

No comments: