Thursday, November 5, 2015

You Can't Make Me

Luna does not like going to work with Linda.  She's pretty vocal in expressing her displeasure as she's been carried out to the car every morning.  Having had enough, yesterday she said, "I'm not going, and you can't make me!"  Linda went back to her room to get Luna, then came out saying, "I can't find her anywhere," and the search began.  Upstairs and down, there are a hundred hidey-holes for a cat in the house.  My cats were not giving signals that they'd seen Luna (yes, they still growl and hiss at the "space invader") and I had not seen a dark streak pass by, but we looked and looked.  Linda had to leave for work, and I had chores to attend.  While milking, I tried to think of anywhere we'd not checked.  Coming back to the house, the first thing I did was go down the hall and, sure enough, there was Luna on her bed, smirking, I swear.  I called Linda to let her know that the lost had been found.  "I'll be home in a few minutes."  I know her relief was great.  Cats do not like to acknowledge that they are not rulers of their universe, but Linda took charge and hauled a grumbling Luna away.  That was enough drama for one day.

It's been a long time since there's been ice in Bessie's pool, but it was that cold yesterday.  Guess it's time to empty, scrub, and put the pool away for the season.  Escaping the chilled house in the afternoon, my girl and I went out to sit in the sunshine.  A good breeze was blowing and I listened to a symphony in green.  The black oak has few leaves left and bare branches have a whistling sound, backed by the rustle of the live oaks.  Pine trees take the chorus with a constant murmur, punctuated by the occasional bird call.  All this music, and the performance was free!

Lighting the wood stove in late afternoon was in order and putting the comforter back on the bed was mandatory last night.  I think it's safe to say winter is just around the corner.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Your outdoor time sounds glorious, and you make it some to life for us city-folk! Poor Luna...THINKING she's in charge :-)