Thursday, January 21, 2016

Let There Be Heat!

Caught a real break yesterday.  First, it was a sunny day.  I'm getting dizzy from this weather merry-go-round, but am so glad when the sun shines.  Bess and I spent the obligatory time on the deck; in fact, I stretched it out so as to finish the book I'd started.  Next, Chimney Guy called to say he could be here tomorrow (now today) and I gave him directions.  The big-time bonus came when he called again later in the afternoon and said he'd be here in maybe a half-hour!  Oh, good grief.  I, fortunately, had not tried to start a fire and so the chimney and stove were cold.  That was a good thing.  I had not, however, cleaned out the ashes, so got busy with that.  (One tries to make a good first impression.)

Chimney Guy arrived and the one who made the best impression was Bessie Anne, who greeted and then  flirted outrageously with this gentleman as soon as he got out of his truck.  What can I say?  She likes men.  Having fallen to her charms, CG turned his attention to Stove.  When the top was removed, the creosote-laden catalytic converter was exposed, to my shame.  "You have starved this stove for air!"  It's true:  I'm an unintentional stove abuser.  CG used an industrial shop vac to get the converter parts cleaned, chastising me all the while and pointing out that he hadn't even swept the chimney yet.  I hung my head and apologized; it was, after all, my fault.  I'd hoped for a few points for calling him (good luck with that).  Up on the roof with his brushes, I kept hearing "Chim Chim Cheree" (Mary Poppins, 1964) in my head as CG worked.  Back in the house, he vacuumed out the residue, explaining all the while that Stove needed air.  Yes, I got that.  CG was done in no time and did not make me raise my hand and swear an oath to treat Stove better before slipping Bess a dog biscuit and driving off into the sunset.

Sunset.

It was a good day.

No comments: