Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Hell On Wheels

Florence and Dan sent an unexpected text that they were coming to visit in the afternoon.  Well, it would be grand to see them, but I was worried about sitting on the porch because the heat was soaring,  I needn't have worried.  When they got here, they simply said, "We're coming in."  Nobody has been in my house since the beginning of the pandemic, and it shows,.  Dust and cat fur abound.  My pride took a big hit and it was a hard pill to swallow, but friendship means more than neglected housework. The reason for their visit was to bring the loan of a wheeled walker.

The inability to walk is now the bane of my existence, and it's difficult to get from one end of the house to the other, let alone from the living room to the kitchen.  The walker has a seat so I can rest when I've made the trek from here to there.  Old age hits hard, but, hey, ya take help when it's offered.  I practically whizzed down the hall on a trial run after they'd left.  What a difference.

Florence fed and watered the goats, something I've had trouble with of late.  She's also going to try to rehome them.  It's time to let go, and Sheila and Tessie deserve better care than I've been able to provide.  It will be the end of an era, but the right thing to do.

In addition to the walker, my friends brought an assortment of goodies.  Believe it, I gorged on donut holes and ice-cold watermelon chunks later on.  The best part of the day was sitting together as we had in the old days, just two years ago.

The walker needs a horn so I can warn traffic of my approach.

It was a good day.

Stay safe.  Be well.


2 comments:

Emmy said...

I have one too and use it part of the day. Very handy.

Kathryn Williams said...

I'm so glad that you have allowed yourself this comfortable aid. And yay for friends who barge in, knowing it's the right thing to do. Here's to more comfortable mobility. I was able to borrow one like that for my dad and it made his trekking so much easier. I've been intrigued with the ones that let you stand tall with elbow on elevated platforms. Hopefully that will be common in the future.