Monday, August 23, 2021

No Kidding

It's been a rough week, no lie.  With all that others have gone through and lost so much, I feel pretty wimpy complaining of more days without power.  The silence and darkness just added to the fear of seeing more, closer smoke and waiting for flames to appear.  At one point the Caldor fire was just over the hills to the east, but thanks to the heroic efforts of ground and air crews, it was stopped.  Helicopter and planes worked well into the night, 11 p.m., to stop the spread.  Bless them one and all.

No power, no TV, no way of knowing where and what was happening.  It made me a crazy person.  The only way to recharge the cell phone was to sit in the truck for an hour.  Michael must have thought I'd gone batty as we sat with the engine running and not going anywhere.  Having disobeyed the mandatory evacuation order, I didn't think they'd let me back in if I left.  Florence, Dan, and Dave, my guardian angels, brought supplies   Don't laugh, bananas were high on the list.

It's great to have the computer back again.  It will be wonderful to have hot food.  Running water and flushing toilets are a luxury beyond words.  Michael and the cats were getting bottled water, courtesy of F&D.

As with life, there's no way to know what's going to happen next, but for the moment, we're here and safe.

Stay safe.  Be well,

No comments: