Friday, August 20, 2021

Let There Be Light

These are dark days for California, and quite literally for Farview Farm.  The Caldor fire has wreaked havoc and devastation for so many.  On Tuesday, I had arranged for a housekeeper to come put a dent in just the living room; a trial run as it were.  That's about the time the smoke clouds were rising over the hills to the east.  There was no way of knowing where the fire was or which way it was going.  The irony did not escape me that I could be dust free and buried in ash.

Then the power went out.  Losing touch with the world was terrifying with no way of knowing where the fire was going/coming.  Believe me, ordinary days and nights without light or sound are very, very long.  About midnight on the second night, sheriff's deputies came through the area announcing mandatory evacuation orders.  After great consideration, I decided to stay put, but scared out of my wits.

The landline phone went out, but I had my cell and was able to stay in touch with family.  My brother-in-law Stan kept me informed on the fire's progress, telling me it was to the east and going north.  The town of Grizzly Flat has been destroyed.  I haven't seen the news yet today.

Power was restored yesterday afternoon.  The difference in attitude, the relief!  I'm back in touch with the world and happy to be here.

Stay safe.  Be well.  God bless the firefighters.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Tinka said she and you had been in touch, and I had heard from a friend in Gardnerville about Grizzly Flats several days ago. I'm so glad the wind didn't shift and put your in harm's way to a greater degree.