Saturday, November 6, 2021

How Green Is My Hilltop

One of my all-time favorite movies is 'How Green Was My Valley' (1941, Maureen O'Hara,Walter Pidgeon, Roddy McDowell. Donald Crisp, Sara Allgood).  It certainly comes to mind now because, after just the few days of rain, my hilltop has burst into technicolor...green!  (Which is funny because the film is black-and-white.)  When Chuck came over on Tuesday, he said my driveway is almost invisible, covered with the same green as in the fields, and I, who sits on the porch and goes no farther, can see that the little pathway from the drive to the house changed color almost overnight.  Helper Dude is going to have weed-eating job security this year.

Up above, the oaks are turning brown and there is the constant patter of dry leaves hitting the ground.  Michael shuffles through an ankle-deep carpet of rustling leftovers to find his favorite spots to piddle.  Our morning outings are brief in the damp and chill, but we do enjoy getting out in the afternoons to find a patch of sunshine out of the breeze.  When it's really nice, I leave the front door open so the cats can get their dose of vitamin D, too.

Looks like we're going to get more rain today.  It'll keep the green going and growing.

Stay safe.  Be well.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

John Ford TRIED to have How Green Was My Valley made in technicolor but alas, the powers that be denied.