Tuesday, March 30, 2010

And Rain Reigns

Ah, well...spring is fickle.  Morning was beautiful, sunny and warm, yesterday.  The barn was finally starting to dry out and I could do a better job of cleaning the stalls.  Animal Control Dave stopped by and took a report on the last incident.  Evidently Animal Control also works on the three-strikes rule and my neighbor gets one more shot before a hearing will be held.  I hope it doesn't come to that, because that means the chickens would have to suffer one more attack.  He was going to visit my neighbor next, and maybe that will make her a believer.  As he was leaving, we both noticed the dark clouds over the valley.  I started battening down the hatches...firewood up to the porch, woodstove lit, anything that could blow away put away.  The wind kicked up and the clouds moved in, but the rain held off until just as I was putting the kids into the barns for the night.  Stumpy and I avoided a soaking. 

NASCAR was rained out in Virginia on Sunday so the race was held yesterday (Clint made a respectable finish in the top ten and Jimmy Johnson didn't win).  In spite of the disrupted days, I did remember that today was trash day...mission accomplished!  The weather report predicts a week of rain.  What can I say?  It's spring.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

I was going to remind you yesterday that it wasn't trash day, but I figured by the time I did, IF you had forgotten, then the barrel would already have been at the street!! I know, you KNEW it wasn't "Belgium" yesterday. Glad the rains held off until you got your farmin' chores done and Stumpy got inside too...hope you have some good books to read as you hunker down. And how did the new recipes turn out for Larry and Taylor - or am I remembering correctly that you were going to try a few??