Thursday, March 18, 2010

Philosophical Maunderings

A long time ago I read that there is no heavier burden than great potential.  Living alone, I think there is no lonelier burden than responsibility.  There is no one to whom one can hand off or share.  Illness is a spectre that lurks in the corner of my mind for that very reason.  I don't get sick, haven't even had a cold in probably six years, but I was sick yesterday.  I desperately wished that someone, anyone, would come and milk the goats, feed the chickens, tend the dog and cats (and pick up the rest of the sticks!).  Well, there's an old saying, "If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride."  There was nothing for it but to pick up the milk bucket and go about business as usual...comes under the heading of  "pull on your big-girl panties and get 'er done."  I will admit that cleaning the barn got short shrift, and the sticks will wait for another day.  Thankfully, the dark cloud seems to have passed and today is going to be a much better day.  And even better, Sheila didn't have her baby yesterday. 

2 comments:

Linda Cox said...

Strangely our conversation set up a chain of events that led me to sign up for a first aid class! a. you were sick b. I'm too far away to help c. wouldn't be much help even if I were close d/t ignorance d. thought about how useless I would be in ANY emergency e. signed up for a first aid class to learn Heimlich, CPR and (yuck) emergency wound care - Hopefully I can still rely solely on 911 should someone be silly and think they can go into labor and count on me. Sheila would not be having babies on MY watch!

I'm so glad you're feeling better and that you have a warm, sunny day ahead of you.

Kathryn Williams said...

So sorry that you were sick...guess you can't "call in sick" and have a sub take over - bummer! Here's hoping that you feel totally better really soon!