Monday, March 15, 2010

Totally Messed Up

It seems I haven't got complaining about the time change completely out of my system.  Got up at five-thirty yesterday, which is a reasonable hour, except my body knew it was only four-thirty...too early by anyone's standards.  Going by the clock, I surprised the goats an hour early and their internal time pieces said they weren't ready for breakfast yet.  To make matters worse, there was no race yesterday, and without NASCAR to punctuate the week, I don't know what day it is.  Needing some supplies, I drove into town, only to discover the store I needed was closed.  Closed?  Of course it was closed...it was Sunday.  Drat!  A forty mile trip for nothing.  And, still needing those supplies, I'll have to do it again today...and I just love going to town.  There...now I feel better.

The mourning doves have migrated in, and their sad calls are heard morning and evening.  There is another dove that will come later.  Mourning doves are small birds, but the other ones are really big, as big as pigeons, and when they're startled, their wings clatter like machine guns.  The other day I heard a ruckus and saw a grey squirrel being beseiged by three red-headed woodpeckers.  It had evidently gotten too close to either a nest or a stash of acorns, and the woodies were dive-bombing and squawking, driving the squirrel out to the very end of a small, bouncing branch, and finally out of the tree.  Sheila is waddling around in the last stages of her pregnancy, with an expression that says she'd really like to be done with it...and now would be good.  The not-so-reliable weathermen are predicting a week of sixty- and seventy-degree days, so I guess I don't have so much to complain about after all. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I see Pearl has kept her girlish figure, but Frank has bulked up since I last saw him, no more bonbon's for him~

Cally Kid said...

Oh, the doves. They also make a "I'm startled" sound as they flitter away. Yet it is the quails that can really startle you when, at the last minute, they decide to take flight. I'm never prepared when they pop out of the brush and surprise me! I agree with you on the time change. How many thousands of years were we able to adapt and function in "real time"?