Sunday, March 28, 2010

Peace Reigns

There were no untoward events this weekend, and no dogs sighted. 

I treasure any time my kids can spare, and hoard their visits in my memory as jewels.  I am at that stage of life when, thankfully, days pass more slowly, and I try to remember that others still race against the clock and the calendar.  When the opportunity for a visit arises, I take full advantage for total enjoyment.  It is an indescribable pleasure to discover that those gap-toothed kids, those goofy, rebellious teenagers I remember so well have become intelligent, sensitive, responsible, funny adults with whom one can discuss anything under the sun.  I like the way they think.  I respect their opinions.  I admire them as people. 

I saw the first robin this morning.  In the past, I have seen as many as seventy-five robins at one time in the yard.  Somehow, as they dart around with hunched shoulders while looking for bugs, they remind me of Richard Nixon...a whole flock of Richard Nixons.  The large doves with the clattering wings have arrived at the feeding station, and the mourning doves still cry in the dusk.  The hummingbirds are coming back in droves.  The days and nights are still chilly, but the sun is shining and it's a glorious morning.  Peace reigns.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

What a beautiful way to start a Sunday...reading your blog! And I could have written your first paragraph - not as eloquently, but with the same feelings from the heart...always wonderful when the "young'uns" turn into such grand adults!! Enjoy your springtime!