Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Sheila's First Day On the Job

Milking Sheila for the first time yesterday went really well.  Her teats are a milker's dream.  Forrest Gump might say, "They're like a box 'a chocklits...ya never know what you're gonna git," and this time I hit the truffles jackpot.  Unfortunately, the process reminded her of the missing babies.  While I tended the others, she circled the barn, calling for her little ones, her cries becoming more and more frantic.  It tears my heart out.  Sheila did calm down later and grazed quietly for the rest of the day. 

It's daybreak, and an army of wild turkeys is marching through my yard, speaking to each other in low tones.  The beasty boys were active earlier while it was still dark, and the turkeys are smart enough to keep a low profile, even though there are twenty or more in this flock. 

Since Sheila is now my fourth milker and the demand for product has gone down, I've got enough milk on hand to start making cheese again.  I've got a batch of feta draining now...yum!

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Ditto to heart being torn out...let's hope she soon forgets!