Friday, March 26, 2010

Calm Before the Storm

Buckle your seatbelts...it's gonna be a bumpy ride.  After a peaceful, productive morning yesterday, I needed to go to town for supplies.  When I got home, I sat in the truck for a minute, watching and enjoying my chickens scratching for goodies in the leaves...and then my neighbor's dog appeared and began savaging one of the red hens.  Ohmigawd, not again!  I came roaring out of the truck and down the hill and managed to scare off the dog before it killed the hen, who limped as fast as she could back to the chicken house for a cuddle.  Animal Control was called again.  Evidently they didn't make much of an impression on my neighbor last week.  I'm hoping for better this time.  According to the paperwork I was sent, allowing a dangerous dog to run loose is a misdemeanor crime, and I am willing to testify in court.  A range war between neighbors is a terrible thing.  As I've said before, this is an area where we depend on each other much more than in the city.  I loathe this feeling of vulnerability.  I hate the thought of an enemy.  Be that as it may, my chickens depend on me to keep them safe, and if it costs the price of a neighbor to do that....  I feel like a member of The Soprano's crew, and I'm ready to "hit the mattresses."  As I told my friend Linda, it's going to be a lesson in "don't mess with the old broad."  (Well, that's not exactly the word I used.)

On a gentler note, the weather turned cold yesterday and it rained during the night.  The temperature was thirty degrees this morning and the ground is covered in ice.  Every leaf I see has a tiny icicle at the tip, now sparkling with the rising sun.  My son Larry and his daughter Taylor are coming up tonight.  I'm looking forward to their company and the opportunity to try out a new recipe.  After so many years of cooking for so many good eaters, it's been difficult to cook for one, and I love to cook!  My six-burner stove and double ovens have gathered dust while the microwave has gotten a workout.  The crabapple tree that I bought last year and that is still in its nursery pot on the front porch has burst into beautiful white blossoms.  While it is a lovely welcome to visitors, I have had it on my to-do list for months and I have to get the darned thing in the ground!  It seems my guilt has to rise to a certain level before I'm motivated to act.  I think it's getting close.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Damn that dog - and I LOVE dogs. But, I guess we have both said it before - it is not the dog's fault...exactly. He's acting on instinct, however, owners can train against killing as well as train the animals not to roam - and if all else fails, FENCE!

And MORE ice? What the heck? Ah...crab blossoms - I DO miss that from Ohio - San Diego doesn't have them - in fact, spring is great in our gardens, but our trees are not glorious like they are in colder climates.

Have fun cooking - and enjoy your family time!!