Saturday, June 12, 2010

Change of Address

The chicks have settled into their new home and are ready to put in a change-of-address card.  Last evening, all but one of the kids had put themselves to bed.  I think it was Keiko, but it might have been a disoriented (as well as "dis-Oriented") Waylon who was dithering around, calling to the others like a kid left out in a game of hide-and-seek when the rest of the gang had gone home.  I put her/him into the little house and all was right with the world.  These photos were taken this morning, before and just after they came out to play.  The "close up" shows Yuki and Waylon.  The pen had been filled by the same bank of high weeds as in the background.  Yesterday the little kids discovered the joys of dust baths and each chick was happily surrounded by a cloud of dust.  The free rangers and a few wild turkeys paraded past, checking out the new kids on the block.  Silkies not only have feathers on their feet, they have really big feet!  They look like they're wearing snowshoes...the Sasquatches of chickendom.

A really strong north wind blew in yesterday afternoon and it's still kicking up today.  After weeding a lot more in the lavender bed yesterday, I think I'll take today off and give my back and hands a rest.  While I work outside, the inside goes to pot, so it's not like there's nothing to do. 

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Fun to hear that the big-foots...or is that big-feets (ha) have unpacked and are settled in. My only other comment - that must be one "big-ass" lavendar bed if you are STILL weeding!!!

Kathryn said...

Oops....I misspelled lavender and it was right there in front of me in your blog...duh!