Thursday, June 17, 2010

Strange Day

I don't know if there was a change in ionic pressure, if the earth shifted on its axis, or what the heck else it might have been, but something had a strange effect on the animals on the hill yesterday.  It started while I was in the barn in the morning.  Robert ("Robair") evidently brought a new puppy to work with him at the winery, and the dog barked and whined incessantly for hours, to the point that Judy called to see if I was all right.  She thought it might have been Bessie Anne and that something might have happened to me.  (Wasn't that a caring thing to do?)  All the goats and Poppy were on edge, standing at alert, grazing only in snatches, and the orderly routine of coming to the milking room totally disrupted.  Inga refused to come in at all...she's going to have a painfully full bag today.  Annie's horses galloped in spurts and neighed loudly throughout the day, and dogs all over the hill barked off and on.  Bedtime was a disaster for my herd, still spooked.  A task that normally takes about five minutes took over a half-hour as I coaxed and cajoled one animal after another into the barn.  Poppy, usually a placid girl, actually had to be wrestled into the barn and, at about two-hundred fifty pounds, that was a job in itself.  I'm hoping for a calmer day today.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

So far so good??? Hope today is back to the ol' ho hum...altho I don't think life on Farview Farm is ever ho hum! If they were sensing an earthquake, I'm sure it would have hit by now. Wonder if just the dog barking was a signal to them that something was wrong in the world, whereas to the dog, it was just that he was complaining. Don't know if you will ever get your answers.