Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Foggy Days

The skies were clear, the sun shining brightly, but down in the barn it was foggy.  Sweating like a horse (oops...glowing mightily), one learns to appreciate eyebrows; they divert some of the sweat/glow from running directly in one's eyes.  I actually got to the barn early yesterday, but even so, you get a good idea of what the day's going to be like when your face gets so hot your glasses fog up before ten o'clock! 

Jenny brought her husband, Drew, and the bummer pygmy goat, Gus, as well as Mikaela and two sleeping boys, when she came to get milk last evening.  At a month old, Gus is smaller than my kids when they're born, but this little twerp is fearless.  He jumped out of the car, made friends with Bessie Anne, met each of the free-range chickens on his own, and followed us everywhere like a puppy.  He sampled fallen oak leaves, did sporadic leap-and-twists, and stole my heart.  I don't normally get to meet the animals for whom I provide milk, and this was a delight.  I did get to go to the one-year birthday party thrown (no, really!) for a colt that had been orphaned, and a fine young stallion he was.  It makes me feel good, knowing the girls and I are making a difference for some babies.

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Except for the foggy glasses (I feel your pain - we don't get that hot here, but when I used to have wicked hot flashes, the glasses, and therefore my vision, didn't stand a chance!) And what a hoot Gus must be - thanks for sharing, and how wonderful that you know and can see that you are indeed making a difference..."wet-nurse-once-removed" and all that!!

Kathryn said...

I guess what I was trying to say was that except for the foggy glasses, which meant you were dying of the heat, I loved the blog. Nothing like re-reading comments to see that I never finished my sentence!