Sunday, June 6, 2010

Signs of the Seasons

Almost like clockwork, flies show up here on the first of June.  Down in the valley, they don't appear until September.  One would think they'd be year-round pests, but no.  In the barn, there's a loud buzzing from the pee-bees.  Dennis assures me they are wood bees (and what are those?).  These large bees only come when there's been standing water in the barn and they hover noisily over the puddles.  They'll disappear along with the moisture.  I've found and sprayed three wasp nests around the deck.  Several rattlesnakes were sighted sunning themselves yesterday as Arden and I went from one winery to another.  (Another reason I'm so grateful to Joel for cutting down the high weeds in the south pasture...I want to see their beady little eyes before they see me!)  One sure sign of flipping seasons is the change from the warm flannel sheets of winter to cool cotton sheets, which I did last night.  It doesn't take many days of sunshine before I have to add watering deck and front yard plants to my to-do list.  Something will need watering every day from now until winter comes again.  Four deer were in the front pasture last evening; they'll soon be scouting the orchards for fruit salad. 

The weather couldn't have been better yesterday for the Festival; sunny, with a cool breeze.  We went to some old favorites and also tried some new wineries, trying a few sips and nibbles at each place, but mainly enjoying the views and the music and good company.  Those things don't change.

No comments: