Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Junk Man Cometh

Harold, the junk man, came up from Plymouth yesterday to pick up some more stuff from around the house and barn.  He's been here before.  He thinks he's found the mother lode.  Steve was a world-class scrounge...yard sales were full of treasures, and free was even better.  He would scan roadside trash for the gems only he would consider.  I never knew what would be at the end of the sentence when he'd say, "I got you something."  He once gave me sixteen garage doors.  What woman wouldn't be thrilled?  (He used them to build a garden shed, complete with porch and skylight.)  I had four rototillers, one of which actually works.  Harold took one, so I'm down to three.  I don't rototill.  Somebody gave Steve (oh joy!) an old boat and trailer.  The seats were put up in the barn, and the mice made nests in each one, so I pitched them at some point in time.  I've been filling the boat with trash, intending to take the whole thing to the dump and leaving it.  Harold's eyes lit up when he saw it.  Like Steve, he sees possibilities.  He's going to think about it.  Harold could be my new best friend. 

2 comments:

Cally Kid said...

So, you have the Fairview version of "Pickers" on your hill. I prefer the description Treasure Hunter over Scrounge as I too am a collector of things I don't need at the moment but may find a use for later. But, alas, there comes a time when the treasures must be passed on to a new hunter of recyclable goods.

Kathryn said...

I've always felt that it is God's dirty little trick to have the scrounger, hoarder, treasure-hunter die first and leave the non-scrounger, non-hoarder, non-treasure-hunter with all the...ahem...treasures!!! Good ol' Harold...cultivate that friendship for sure. Oh I forgot, you probably get some stripes in "farmer-rancher heaven" when you have piles of rusted farm-machinery-type-crap here and there around your property. But maybe your bibbies don't need stripes!! Live long and prosper and "dejunikfy!" (Hey Mark - good to see you again...and FYI, it's Farview, and not Fairview - but it's a very easy mistake - one that I made in the beginning, too!)