Sunday, June 27, 2010

Saturday Night Live

Deb and Craig brought the fixings for mojitos.  I'd not had one before...great way to start the weekend!  We spent a great deal of time inspecting, measuring, planning a bigger, better habitat for the Silkies.  The three-person committee has come up with a time- and money-saving solution, utilizing a lot of the "treasures" on hand that will double the pen space, with a cover, that will keep the little darlings safe and content, with room to expand the flock in the future.  Craig's "chick source" has an offshoot of the Silkies called Frizzles.  If the Silkies are...let's say, different, the Frizzles are absolutely bizarre.  The feathers are all twisted backward, or, in the case of a chicken, forward.  I want some! 

The new Cooking Channel has reruns of old Julia Child episodes, and I'd saved one that showed Julia at her best/worst, eggs dropping on the floor, pieces of the gateau St. Honore breaking off, taking the electric beater out of the mix without turning it off.  Deb is a gourmet cook, and she was rolling on the floor.  Craig says he now understands why SNL spoofed her!  I loved the line, when she had put too much butter in for the pate a choux, said, "I guess I didn't have my glasses on when I was thinking."  Our own dinner was oven-barbecued ribs, wasabi mashed potatoes, and balsamic roasted onions.  The onions are a great side dish.  Quarter as many peeled onions as are needed, utilizing the root end to hold the quarters together, pour over a bottled vinaigrette (balsamic, if it's in the cupboard), with quite a lot of balsamic vinegar, a teaspoon of minced garlic, fresh or dried tarragon, and salt.  Marinate at least four hours, turning occasionally.  Line a pan with foil, pour in onions and marinade, and bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes.  If I were using a barbecue, I'd leave the peeled marinated onions whole, put in double foil pockets, pour the marinade over, and put on the grill.  Caramelized, sweet, and yummy!

Craig went above and beyond trying to start the recalcitrant weedeater while it was still cool this morning, but to no avail.  I think I've missed the window of opportunity to start a garden after all.  Rain on Friday to one-hundred degrees today...hmmmShort window.

And visits with the Kids are always too short. 

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Sounds like a GREAT weekend! I didn't read this offering until Monday morning, and certainly laughed at the Julia moments...but wondered about your juxtaposition. Had you not had your words separated by a paragraph space, I would have wondered (not really), but laughed instead. Let me quote:"...or, in the case of a chicken, forward. I want some! The new Cooking Channel..." "Chicken" and "Cooking Channel" so close together made me laugh!