Monday, June 21, 2010

Something Wicked This Way Comes

I thought I had put the Silkie chicks in a safe place.  Chicken wire wrapped the bottom of the chain-link fence, chicken wire over the top, barriers around the outside of the pen.  I did not anticipate a small, wicked something burrowing up from underneath in the night, under the fence from the accompanying dog run, and killing Waylon as he slept under the pallet with his small flock.  I found him when I went out to feed this morning.  Poor little thing with his shiny black Elvis hairdo.  The girls, Yuki, Satomi, and Keiko, are all fine.  They were spared.  I have dug down and placed the wooden pallet so they can't get under it anymore, and instead of the doorless Quonset hut, I've put in a large dog carrier so I can close them in at night.  The only saving grace, if there is one, is that this was a kill for food; not the senseless killing of the dog pack for fun.  It doesn't make it less sorrowful, but it is understandable.  I just wish I'd done better.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Ah..the "dis-oriented" one...RIP! The problem with doing better is that sometimes we don't know we haven't done well enough until we find out the hard way. You are still one fierce, protective Mama Bear...or Mother Hen!