Monday, June 28, 2010

Strawberry Fields Forever

When we moved to Fair Play, I brought truckloads of plants from the old homestead, including a strawberry pot that was just getting started.  The plants somehow survive during the snow and freezing weather of our winters and have come back every year, multiplying like crazy.  There have never been too many berries, and they're never very big, but those that develop have an intense burst of strawberry flavor.  In years past, I'd get a few of the berries before before the thieving bluejays descended.  I'd think, "That berry will be just right tomorrow," and the danged birds would get it before I could.  (They did the same thing with the cherry trees.)  This year, the strawberries were more prolific than ever before, and I actually got a handful every day...for awhile.  The lengthy spring this year evidently threw the jays off their schedule, but they have now arrived and are gorging on the berries that are still forming.  Ah well, I guess nothing lasts forever.

2 comments:

Cally Kid said...

Set out a bowl of cat food to distract the Jays. They steal about a half bowl from our cats every day.

Kathryn said...

My folks had the SAME thing happen to a cherry tree in Canada - he has told me the story. "They are a GREAT judge of readiness!" he says!