Friday, June 25, 2010

Men Sweat

I got a jump on the day yesterday and mowed the front yard before going down to the barn.  While the days are still lovely, they're heating up and, even though I was early, I was sweating pretty good in the barn.  I was going to say "sweating like a pig," but pigs lack sweat glands and cannot perspire.  That's why they look for mud puddles, etc., to regulate their temperature.  I was reminded of Mrs. Speicher, a grand old lady from Virginia who was a neighbor when the Kids were little.  I was complaining of dripping sweat, and she informed me, "Mah deah, men and horses sweat...ladies glow."  There are days when I'm glowing like a thousand-watt bulb.

The plan was to get one yard mowed each morning.  I can't believe that I woke up this morning to RAIN!  So much for planning.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Ah...but I bet even tho it was raining, you didn't have to stoke the wood stove - thank goodness for small favors. Got this in my daily Motivation in a Minute email: "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
And it was accompanied by this: "When observing the behavior of most mammals, it soon becomes obvious that waiting is an essential part of their lives. There is a time for everything...a time to feed, a time to rest, a time to wait, and a time to move swiftly."~Ken Jenkins
I really liked them, and I think they are even more appropriate for those of you who live and work much more closely with nature than we "city slickers" do, altho it is still appropos for us too. So...enjoy a good book while God waters for you!