Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Bounty

Zucchini.  Zucchini and tomatillos.  Zucchini, tomatillos, and butternut squash.  Cousin Christi had brought this bounty from another cousin's garden.  When I go to town tomorrow, I'll get more cilantro for another batch of salsa verde and use up the tomatillos.  The butternut squash has a long shelf life and will wait until I'm ready to make risotto.  I always plan to make risotto, but once the squash comes out of the oven, caramelized and perfumed, it's inevitable that I eat it all up before the rice goes in the pan and the risotto never gets made.  And then there is the zucchini...all that zucchini.  One of my favorite light summer dinners is zucchini fritters with carrot, onion, and sriracha (and a dash of cumin)...in fact, I'd just made that for one of the previous guests; I'd actually bought the vegetable for that.  Yesterday I baked eight loaves of zucchini bread (and had that for dinner, period).  The problem is that even with the multiplied recipe, it only used up one large zucchini.  I bribed my milk customer into taking a zucchini by giving her a loaf of the bread.  The kitchen counter is still piled with zucchini and what didn't fit there is out on the front porch.  I may be giving zucchini bread for Christmas, or standing in front of the grocery store, handing it out like puppies.

Yesterday was also laundry day.  Putting away the folded clothes that were still in the basket so I could hang the next load, I noted that a shirt was folded strangely and a towel was certainly folded differently, and thought to myself, "Good grief, I must have been in a hurry when I did that!"  And then it hit me.  Duh.  Those clothes had been on the line when Christi was here and she had to have taken them down while I was in the barn.  Bless her heart.

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

You didn't even have to lock your car doors to not get inundated with zucchini! But go ahead and pass a fritter, please, and then I'll have the zucchini bread for dessert!! Yum!

Kathy V said...

Be the "reverse zucchini bandit" and put them in the beds of stranger's pickups at the supermarket. You'll have to be careful of sleeping dogs who guard against such sheninanigans!