Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A Do-Nothing Day

Temperatures are again tickling the edges of one hundred, hot enough to wilt my ambitions.  Even the animals move in slow motion, taking refuge in the shade.  The hens have all but stopped laying; I'm lucky to gather one or two eggs a day.  I've warned them they need to pick up the pace or I'll have to sing the Colonel Sanders Song (they know that's an idle threat).

Twenty-Two is not happy that he's been cut back to just the bedtime bottles, and he'll be less happy in another couple of days when even those are stopped.  I will be happy when I can let him out of the barn and not have to haul buckets of water down for him.  His growth is amazing; at two months, he is already half the size of an adult.  This little boy continues to give me attitude, but the herd will help school his behavior when he's out amongst them.  Their personalities are all so different, it's too much to hope that he will be the same as sweet Nineteen.

Tree Guy stopped by a couple of days ago (to bring more branches...what a crack-up!).  His "day job" is working on a forest fire fighting crew, and he came to tell me he and Number Two Son were headed to a fire up in Plumas County, perhaps for a couple of weeks.  Since TG is my go-between with the gentleman who is interested in the wethers, I'll have at least that long to get Twenty-Two socialized.

Taking advantage of the down time in the heat, yesterday was a day to reconcile bank statements, pay bills, watch old movies, and gorge on zucchini bread.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Hey, tell your summer to leave!!! And what I want to know is...if you had made zucchini fritters, would you have frittered away your day, as I felt I had??