Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Ladies Return

It's always such a surprise to see Naked Ladies at Farview.  Even though I planted the originals, their annual appearance still comes unexpectedly.  These amaryllis lie dormant in the earth most of the year, then rise up on slender stalks unaccompanied by greenery.  The pale pink trumpets stand proudly alone like Venus Rising From the Sea.  The leaves that feed the bulb will appear much later.  I know there must be some high-fallutin' botanical name for these plants, but I've ever only known them by the moniker "Naked Ladies."

On my next trip to town, I shall buy a number of "No Hunting" signs and post them around the property.  Three bucks were in the orchard yesterday afternoon and I want to afford them sanctuary.  Steve's family were all hunters, and I've been on my share of deer hunts.  As long as the kill is for food and not trophies, I have no argument.  We agreed when we moved here that no wildlife would be killed on the property.  Aside from other aspects, it simply would not be sporting.  The National Forest where it is legal to hunt is five miles away.  What others do on their home turf is none of my business.  Until the other day, I never felt the need to post my land, but one close call is one too many.  A hunter in the grip of "buck fever" loses focus.  Reason tells me that a sign will not deter idiots, but at least it will put them on notice.  I derive so much pleasure from seeing these Kings of the Forest, their ladies and their offspring.

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

My Naked Ladies have come and gone, and I had no idea that they were part of the Amaryllis family, but I did know some of this other part but just Googled to make sure I had it correct: Belladonna, Deadly Nightshade, and it produces atropine, which, in days of old, was used to dilate ladies' eyes to make them look more alluring! Who knew THAT part!! And I applaud you and Steve for your decision - like you said, the forest is just 5 miles away...let their be peace and sanctuary at Farview!

Kathy V said...

My patch of Naked Ladies surprises me each year. We have lived in this house for close to 40 years and the bulbs were in that same spot long before that. I wonder how old they are. Still as beautiful as ever.

Kathryn said...

I moved in with my dad in 2009 and he moved in in 2003 and I'm sure he had no idea what the overgrown back side garden even looked like. After I cleared it, I saw the brown, dead-looking bulbs, and I was beyond shocked when they sent up shoots...and even MORE shocked when they turned into the gorgeous Naked Ladies. Not only that, I had NO idea what they were. I did eventually find out...and then I was shocked again when the leaves showed up. What a unique plant indeed!