Monday, September 19, 2011

Visiting Royalty

Warming Twenty-Two's beddy-bye bottles last evening, I glanced out the kitchen windows and looked into the eyes of King of the Forest and two princelings.  The king may be just a forked horn, but his rack is two to two-and-a-half feet high.  The younger bucks are spike horns.  I dawdled long enough to let them move on.  However, as I walked out with Bessie, I saw they'd just moved over behind the hen house.  "Ahem, ahem," I cleared my throat to give fair warning before Bess caught sight of the deer.  King was fearless and stood his ground even while I tended to the chickens.  It wasn't until I was filling their waterers that Bessie Anne finally saw the deer.  With those antlers, King could do real damage to a dog, but when Bess made a short charge, King and the boys finally bounded off and Bessie had enough good sense not to follow.  I hope those boys stay close (and idiots stay far away), as hunting season will open next week.

Another Prince of a guy, Mike discovered a potential disaster in the plumbing of the guest shower while the cousins visited.  Mulling it over for a couple of days, he came up with an inventive solution.  Miraculously, we were able to locate the necessary tools and materials in record time down in the shop.  All future guests in need of sluicing down will have Mike to thank that the water control doesn't pull through the wall into their hands.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Ay-yi-yi Mike...atta boy!! And yes, let's hope that King and princelings understand that you are a safe harbor IF the idiots stay away!