Saturday, September 24, 2011

Danged Deer

I am very happy to offer sanctuary to the deer.  I can put up with lilacs stripped of leaves.  I don't mind filling a dishpan with water twice a day so they can drink.  I'm willing to repeatedly fix the gate to the open side of the barn when they push/pull it off trying to get a snack of alfalfa.  However, a situation has arisen recently that has me concerned.  The bucks are forming a gang.  First there were two, now there are four.  While I might catch a glimpse at other times of the day, they are cruising through nightly at dusk now, just about the time that Bess Anne and I are starting our evening chores.  A couple of days ago, she and I had just finished watering the vegetable garden and were heading back to the house.  Four well-armed boys were standing right there in the driveway.  I'm glad I caught sight of the gang before Bess did and the breeze was blowing away from us.  A few years back, bucks were goring dogs left and right and I certainly don't want Bessie Anne to become another statistic.  I kept Bessie distracted and raised my voice, hoping the deer would move off...they didn't.  They stood their ground defiantly, daring me to bring it on.  The bully-boys were between us and the front door and no way to go around.  This standoff lasted over five minutes before, and I swear I could see it, the biggest buck with the biggest antlers stuck out his tongue and gave me the raspberry before leading his gang to amble down to the woods. 

Bessie wasn't happy last night when she had to stay in the house while I put everyone else to bed, but it's a good thing she did because the bucks were out by the chicken pen again.  I think it's pretty rude for guests to start intimidating the host.  Danged deer.

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Dang is RIGHT! The few times I've been at B & Bs, they've always have a list of "rules," so to speak, so I guess you had better post yours on a tree outside...oh wait...do you know how to speak "Buck?" In my travels, and in Ohio mainly, I guess it has been mainly the does that I have seen, or does and fawns, and they ARE skittish, and will be the ones who are intimidated by us two-legged critters, but I've never encountered the guys with their built-in weapons...I guess it WOULD make one more brave and less likely to pay attention to the host. If Bessie only knew what fate you were avoiding for her, I'm sure she'd say, "Thank you, Mom. You go play with the big boys and I'll happily stay here." Nah, she'd want to protect you, but Mother Knows Best!!

Kathy V said...

You need one of those baby bunting things. Bet you can find one on craigslist. You could fit half the flock in one of those. Ever hatched a chick in your bra? Imagine it would be something like that.