Sunday, September 18, 2011

Great Gettin' Up Morning

The moon has been so bright the last few nights I could think I'd left the lights on.  That's a good thing for Pearl as it will have made hunting easier.  Frank has come and gone in the house with impunity, trusting that Snoopy and Lucky are well contained.  Pearl, on the other hand, has wanted nothing to do with those beasties with teeth.  Had I not run into her several times yesterday while tending the chickens, I'd be worried.

Mike is also an early riser.  As it is for many unfortunate males, when the "girls" get to chattering, it's hard to get a word in edgewise.  It was nice to spend a little one-on-one time before he headed out for a golf date yesterday.  The weather could not be better for all concerned.  Christi took her dogs for a long walk up our shady road while I did barn chores, and then we spent the better part of the lovely day sitting on the deck with a cool breeze blowing and got caught up on family news.  Lucky seems to like me especially and he's a "leaner," pressing against my leg as I massage his shoulders.  Bessie will take just so much of that before she comes and leans against the other leg.  "I'm your girl, Mom.  Me too!" 

Little Mr. Full of Himself is being schooled in good manners.  Twenty-Two has started to jump up on me like a dog.  Like a dog, this is not acceptable.  In addition, he tries to hook with his horns, and this is not acceptable.  As I've told anyone who's bought a kid from me, what might be cute and feisty as a baby will not be cute when that baby is a full-grown, strong adult and bad behavior cannot be tolerated.  I want him to have a long, happy life and it's up to me to get him started on the right path.

The calendar says that fall won't be official for some time.  Nature says, "Watch me."  It isn't just that the days are cooler...acorns are dropping and the air itself has a different feel.  Summer may have a last hurrah, but it's fall.

2 comments:

Kathy V said...

Even with half moon, I too wondered if I left the barn light on. Fall has hit Paso Robles. It's time to put the saved ham bone in a crock pot full of Navy beans.

Kathryn said...

OK everybody...Farview first and then down to Paso Robles for our next B and B! I told my dad the other day that it almost seemed like "fall was in the air," and for any familiar with Southern California, September and early October can be our hot, fire season, Indian Summer time...but we shall see if we by-pass it this year, with the exception of the first week in September, which also held unfamiliar humidity. Who says that we humans can control the weather?!