Thursday, September 22, 2011

New Adventure

She's done it again.  It's long been my friend Linda's practice to either guide me or drag me kicking and screaming into new adventures.  Years ago she convinced me to try a kundalini yoga class, where I sat on the floor with a dab of Tiger Balm (which burned like blue blazes) on my forehead to help focus.  I still use some of the breathing techniques to relieve stress.  It was she I joined for elaborate beach picnics.  My foray into jogging with her was short lived.  I know Linda was disappointed in me when I'd stop after a lap or two on the cinder track for a cigarette before slogging on.  On a prior visit, she bought me two books about eBay.  I did read both of them, but anything that needs two books (one was "for Dummies") to explain its use is too complicated to make it worth my time.  When she was here earlier this month, Linda introduced me to Craig's List...an on-line "want-ads section" that is very simple to use.  Dipping my toe in the water, I posted two never-used life vests just hanging in the closet.  There were three immediate responses, and yesterday I took the vests into town and met the buyer in a very public parking lot for safety (resisting the urge to carry a rose in my teeth for identification) and sold them.  Ta da!  This could be the start of something big...or at least a way to dispose of some of a lifetime of accumulated detritus...and maybe a few roosters.

While I am venturing off into a new realm, Pick-Me-Up Peggy is feeling needier.  Usually she only comes for a cuddle at nighttime, but lately she's been foregoing morning cereal to stand at my feet until I lift her up.  Last night I carried her around while I threw grain and shut the little door, and then put her down inside with the others.  Before I could shut the big door, she popped out again and stood looking up at me.  What else could I do?  Of course I picked her up again, stroking her head and listening to her croon with her semi-closed eyes.  What is it with this chicken?

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

Well I must say...Linda's choice of her new adventure for you is certainly less physical than the yoga or jogging, and probably less filling than the picnics, but yay for a successful first foray. And I'm guessing "Woman-of-a-certain-age-driving-truck-wearing-bibbies," made the rose unnecessary! And are you SURE that you don't just want to let Peggy live in the laundry room? Obviously she's not your ORDINARY chicken!

Linda Cox said...

I had forgotten about the tiger balm but everything else is crystal clear! Congrats!

Kathy V said...

Ohhh, Craigslist. Sold a car, some sheep and goats, feed tanks and bought milk replacer and met a nice good goat friend. Be careful, the usual low-lifes and scammers are out there! But I love Craigslist!

Linda Cox said...

A quick p.s. to yesterdays column’s comment: I mentioned that I remembered everything except for the Tiger Balm; what I remember most though, is that no one led and no one followed; we went exploring hand-in-hand together, either giggling madly or knees knocking in trepidation. Diane draws trekking partners to her like bees to sugar; her friends, family, lovers and children of her heart are all enriched.