Monday, September 5, 2011

R Is For...

Rut...as in "stuck in a rut."  Life here is essentially the same day after day, every day.  That's pretty much the definition of boring.  The odd thing is that no two days are ever the same, and I'd be hard-pressed to be bored.  The sun comes up every day, but its appearance is ever changing.  Today happens to be painted in muted pastels.  Weather...well, unpredictable at best.  Weeds...an unending chore, but even they are different in everything but persistence.  The personalities of the animals make the repetitive tasks involved in their care entertaining and sometimes surprising.  I never know when a mouse will jump out when I take the lid off the breakfast grain bucket.  Milking the same goat tomorrow will be different from today; the teat orifices might be more open or closed, her stance might make the job easier or more difficult, she might have more milk or less.  Among the spectators in the barn, the regulars might return or new squirrel and mice faces show up.  The wildlife population is always out there, but the cast is in constant rotation, changing with the seasons.  Just as I was thinking I hadn't seen any tom turkeys in a long time, three showed up at the feeding station yesterday.  I haven't seen deer on the property in awhile, but noted that the leaves on a planted tree in the pasture are going missing and I know who to blame.

Repetition provides consistency.  There is comfort in knowing my constant role at Farview, knowing what is expected.  Life itself throws enough curve balls, puts enough obstacles in the way.  Excitement is where you find it.  My road may be rutted, but I like the direction it is headed.

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Your R-endition of your R-outine and R-epetition and R-ut...is like a breath of fresh air - painted with your wonderful wordsmith brush! Once again, thank you...I'll R-eread this when I need a R-espite from the cares of the world!

Kathy V said...

There are days when I wish for a boring day!