Monday, April 16, 2012

Caught A Break

Earlier in the day I was bemoaning the fact that NASCAR had had a Saturday night race and therefore my Sunday and the rest of the week would be thrown off track.  I didn't realize it would be a blessing in disguise.  I had taken my turn around the deck; there wasn't much warmth in that morning sun breaking through.  However, by the time I'd finished in the barn the ground was littered with goats, sheep, dog, and cats, all stretched out and basking after days of rain.  Naturally, I grabbed a book and went out to get my share of those rays.  After noon, the pull to work outside became too strong and I fired up the mower.  The grass/weeds had dried sufficiently to start cutting it down.  A bluebird day, a cooling breeze, the smell of new-mown grass and the peppery scent of bracken...it just doesn't get much better than that.  Still too nice to go inside after I'd put the tractor back in the shed, Bessie and I went out to the garden where I weeded out one of the tubs.  It was the kind of day that gets one enthused about planting.  That's a while off yet, but it couldn't hurt anything but my back to get a jump on it.  Heading back to the house, I dropped off greens for the chickens.  There's a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment from working outside that dusting never gives.  I was ever so happy at the end of the day that NASCAR had given me the wave-around. 

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Sounds like it was, indeed, a VERY good day!!