Saturday, May 19, 2012

Love Story

"I remember the exact moment I fell in love with her.  She was standing on stage in the auditorium at an assembly, singing 'Wayfaring Stranger.'"  My neighbor Dennis was a taciturn man, and this romantic statement surprised me.  I had gone up the road to visit Doris, his wife, my friend, who was terminally ill, and he and I were sitting outside in the dark, taking a break.  They had been high school sweethearts and married young.  The couple had three daughters and stayed married, living many years in Fair Play.  They were the first locals I met up here.  Doris and I became good buddies; she was up for any adventure.  Dennis was nothing but kind to me.  Doris died a couple of years ago, Dennis just last week.  I thought of his statement yesterday when I went to his "celebration."  They're buried together in the old Fair Play cemetery, still in the neighborhood, just over the hill.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Full circle love story! Happy Trails to both of them.