Sunday, September 29, 2013

Big Day Today

The Kids are coming!  The Kids are coming!  Busy lives, time, distance, summer heat all preclude frequent visits.  We always stay in touch, but it's not the same as seeing their faces.  Tree Guy had borrowed my splitter and I was worried he wouldn't get it back in time, but he brought it yesterday and put it in place under the oak.  Last night I made spicy Mexican meatballs for albondigas and rice for lunch and batter for breakfast muffins when the Kids get here.  Each of the Kids is an excellent, adventurous cook, so I tend to revert to meals they might remember from childhood when they come up.  After all, they're coming to Mom's and what brings back memories better than food?

The weather has made a dramatic change from hot to almost chilly, and the thought of a bank of firewood to draw from is sounding better and better.  Driving into town yesterday, I noted that trees are beginning to turn color and some of the grapevines next door are a gorgeous red.  Just that one day of rain last week has put a green blush over the fields.

I think Cindy, one of the older goats, is getting ready to take her leave.  She is not ill, just tired.  The animals get a certain look in their eyes that signals the end is near.  Somehow I thought Ruth would be the next to go; she's the oldest at nearly fourteen, but she's still bossy and full of herself.  Cindy and Esther are two of triplets born to the Lady Lucinda.  It's hard to watch an old friend go, but it is what it is.  Poppy is also aging and I look over the stall door every morning, hoping she's still on her feet.

Going back to yesterday's entry and the world of computers:  I got a request this morning from a prior WWOOFer, Jule, asking me to proofread a play review she had written in English, checking grammar and syntax.  Jule is in Berlin, Germany!  How marvelous is that?!  Communication at the speed of light, and I come from the Dark Ages when a letter would take days, if not weeks.

The clock is moving faster than I this morning and there are still things to do.  It's a big day for me today.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Oh what a wonderful day you have planned, and I'm just betting that it exceeds your expectations. And give an extra pat and brush stroke to Cindy for me.