Monday, September 30, 2013

It Was A Setup

It was a setup in more ways than one yesterday, mostly good (I can say that; I was a beneficiary of the good part).  Deb and Craig were running a little late so I only had time to throw a couple of warm muffins at them and give Craig a quick crash course in running the splitter before I had to get down to the barn.  Time and goats wait for no man.  I darned near strained my neck as I watched for Dave and Larry to drive up.  Clay had to work at his day job and wasn't expected.  Barn chores take a solid hour; no sign of the rest of the crew. 
I didn't take a "before" picture of the mountain of logs that Dave and Clay had cut on Wednesday, but this shows the size of some of those rounds and a fraction of the two-plus pallets that Deb stacked.  I don't know that I've ever seen a couple work together as well as Deb and Craig; they're a well-oiled team.

We were still waiting for those "many hands that make light work" when the last piece of firewood was on the stack and the tarp pulled over.  This Dynamic Duo definitely earned a hot lunch.  (I had not lifted a finger at the woodpile, but had been busy in the kitchen.)  Halfway through the meal, Larry came in.  He'd been camping; it wasn't until later I discovered he still had his travel trailer hooked up and had come directly from the campsite.  After some good-natured jibes, his apologies were accepted.  With no wood left to split and no time to bring more up from the pasture, Larry went up on the roof and cleaned the chimney.  Dave, who had organized this work force, was a no-show.  Was it a setup?  Credit is due for all the work he put in cutting wood, and Deb and Craig never hold a grudge.

Me?  With a stack of firewood waiting and a clean chimney, I am set up for winter.  I had a great day with Deb and Craig and enjoyed Larry's company for a short while.  I'm not the one with aching muscles so I can say unequivocally that it was a good day.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I was worried about the chimney. I didn't want to hear that you were on the roof again.

Kathryn said...

Yay Deb, Craig, and Larry! Nice to know your mom is all set for those cozy winter days!