Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Time Flies

Even my Kids won't recognize this person.  It's hard for me to find any resemblance to her when I look in the mirror, time has wrought such change.  But then, it's hard for me to recognize the face in the mirror too, because inside, where the real me lives, I quit growing older along in my forties (really good years!).

Not quite seventeen when this senior portrait was taken, I had already met the man who would be the Kids' dad.  We were married shortly after I turned eighteen, Deb was born eleven days after our first anniversary, and the three boys followed in quick succession.  Girl became wife and mother (motherhood was and still is the best time of my life).

It's been quite a journey, a tale with many twists and turns, ups and downs, joys and sorrows.  The girl I was had no inkling of how many changes there would be in her life, how far the road would lead.

Pictures tell the story of how many years have flown (and, believe me, they did fly!).  One thing has remained constant.  I'm still raising kids, Kids.

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

Thought provoking for sure. Makes me want to dig out my senior picture and tell her what all has happened in the intervening 49 years!

Deb said...

Mom - I see this picture often as it comes across my computer screen several times a day. I think it's only one of several pictures that show your true beauty (made me always think of Grace Kelly). I used that picture in my drawing class for a charcoal depiction, but could NEVER do it justice.
Personally, I think there are far lovelier pictures of you - mostly with animals, but they are all endearing - and all beautiful!

Unknown said...

Good grief! The one day I skip a day, you post a doozy! Beautiful. I have always loved the Kid photo on your coffee table. So nice to have it posted so that I can look at it now and again.

As for your High School portrait. I thought for a long moment that it was Debbie. All of your kids look just like you; beautiful on the inside and out, Deb especially so. Beautiful.