Wednesday, September 18, 2013

WWOOFing It

I really admire the adventuresome spirit of those who take to the WWOOFing trail.  It is a leap of faith on all parts.  The host farm takes in complete strangers for a specified period of time, feeding, housing, and training them, in return for needed help.  By the same token, the WWOOFers travel on their own dime to parts unknown, in some cases to different countries, with hopes of being treated well, learning new skills, and having a great new experience.

Heather, my latest WWOOFer, is a lovely young woman who is a special needs teacher working with autistic children in upstate New York.  She described her job as extremely satisfying but also very stressful, and she is taking a short hiatus to do some traveling by bus, rail, and ship.  Here, we did the usual tour de force, including milking Sheila and Tessie.  I'm sorry to report that Inga once again did her "Whut, you talkin' to me?" routine.  I'll deal with her today.  Heather and I made a batch of chevre to send back to Bell Ranch, and lunched on posole.  The weather was perfect, cool and breezy.  Turkeys and vultures made their appearance, but the deer missed their cue and didn't show up until after Heather was gone.  I find the enthusiasm these guests bring refreshing, and thoroughly enjoy hearing of their travels and discussing their opinions on a wide variety of subjects.  Heather has long-range plans to someday have a small, self-sustaining farm of her own, and I think she may include a goat or two also.

As always, I thank Tim and Kathryn for sharing their guests, and wish the traveler safe journey.  It was a good day.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Nice...very nice! When it works as planned, it seems to be a nice break from your routine, and I'm SURE that the student has a fantastic time at Farview Farm!