Saturday, September 13, 2014

Hog Heaven

The girls are in ecstasy.  I'm doling out that fragrant grass hay from Wyoming.  They would make pigs of themselves if given half a chance, so I'm rationing it.  And for dessert, my neighbor to the south is forking over grape stems after the crush.  There is so much sugar in the stems, it's like candy for the goats.  (I think there's a little fermentation going on there, too.)  When they see Robert heading toward the fence, they rush to greet him, followed by plodding Poppy.  I try not to get my feelings hurt because their love affair with Robert is brief and only once a year.

It's a fact of life that as one gets older, skin becomes more delicate and tears easily.  I'm constantly getting nicks and bruises on my forearms.  Even a stiff stem from a flake of alfalfa will punch a hole.  My skin rips like one-ply toilet paper.  Which brings up a point.  I once read an article asking, if one were cutting costs and saving money, what would be the one "luxury" a person would not do without.  Some answered with Starbuck's coffee, fancy shoes, etc.  My luxury item always would be two-ply toilet paper.  There are a lot of things I would forgo, but you'll always find two-ply in my bathroom (with the end coming over the top toward the front).  That makes me happy.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

I think when one uses one-ply, one has to use twice as much...so why not buy the two-ply? Plus, Costco DOES have it in bulk. And YES, over the top!