Sunday, November 23, 2014

Fair Play Style

Tank tops are a distant memory, put away in drawers for the duration.  The weather app on my phone tells me it is 45 degrees here in Fair Play; that's rather optimistic as the thermometer informs me it is 34 outside.  I tend to believe the thermometer.  My current oh-so-stylish vogue is a turtleneck sweater and a flannel shirt under bibbies and, when headed to the barn in the rain, a fleece-lined canvas jacket and a Michael Jackson felt hat (can't carry two milk buckets and an umbrella).  When it's not raining, the hat is replaced with a watch cap jammed down to the eyebrows.  I haven't yet gone on an all-out search for a warmer set (put somewhere safe last spring) so make do with a pair of gardening gloves.  To complete the ensemble, both shoes have sprung leaks so I squelch through the muck.  I don't know why the photographers from "Elle" or "Cosmopolitan" haven't come knocking on my door.

It's well known how much I love to go shopping (NOT).  Thinking to get it out of the way and give the turkey time to thaw, I bit the bullet and went to the grocery store wa-a-ay down the hill on Friday to get supplies for the holiday.  It seems an order had gotten screwed up and there were no potatoes available.  "We'll get some in tomorrow."  Heads will roll!  My own head would be bouncing alongside, as, unbelievable as it seems, I had forgotten to get the bread for stuffing.  It was right there on the list.  I must have been so discombobulated by the absence of potatoes that I skipped right over the bread.  (That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)  Rain or no rain, I had, oh joy, to go up to the closer market yesterday.  As I put 10 pounds of potatoes and 8 loaves of bread on the counter, the checker asked, "Are you making stuffing?"  "Well, yes, I am.  I've got 17 coming for dinner."  "Oh.  I'm expecting 20 and only got 3 loaves.  Maybe I need more?"  Three loaves?!  It wouldn't be worth my time.  What about leftovers?  The main reason to make a turkey dinner is to have leftovers!  After eating their fill at the table and before going home, my gang descends like lions to bag up leftovers.  That's how we do it in Fair Play.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Well, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the Elle or Cosmo photographers...but any neighbors reading this might just come-a-knockin' to be added to your Thanksgiving Dinner guests now that you have potatoes and stuffing makings!!