Saturday, November 29, 2014

Zzzzz...

And the naps just kept on coming.  I was tired from the minute I opened my eyes in the morning.  Goats fed and milked, stalls cleaned.  Back at the house, I sat down and fell asleep.  I'd really wanted to join dear relatives who were holiday camping down the road apiece (Pine Grove), but the thought of getting in the truck and driving was overwhelming.  Also, I had to wait for a delivery of alfalfa.  I napped until Patrick knocked on the door to let me know he'd offloaded the bales.

Trying to stay awake, Bess, who was as exhausted as I, suggested we go outside for a bit.  We wanted to enjoy the sunshine while we had it.  Rain was predicted for today, and these unusual clouds were the forerunner coming out of the southwest.  Whenever I see this type of clouds, I hear Hoagy Carmichael singing "Old Buttermilk Sky."  Click on the picture to enlarge it and see the two vultures circling overhead.

Propane Guy arrived and topped off the tank, so I'm assured of hot water and a working stove top for the holiday season.  Deliverymen in our area, be they propane, Fed-Ex, UPS, whatever, are clever guys who carry a supply of milk bones in their truck.  Bessie Anne starts wagging as soon as any delivery truck pulls up and goes to greet her "best friends."  Not too many houses up here don't have at least one dog in residence.

Bessie and Celeste vied for a place on my lap and we all (surprise) napped throughout the afternoon.  Come sundown, the cloud formation hadn't changed, but the light certainly had.  This was shot from a different angle than most of my sunset photos.  I'd just tucked the Silkies in the Taj and was afraid if I waited until the big hens were in for the night, I'd lose the glorious color.  They call Montana "big sky country."  It would be hard to beat our sky here in Fair Play.

Later, while finishing a turkey sandwich and smacking my lips, I commiserated with my friend Linda, who had joined others for dinner and had no Thanksgiving leftovers.  My own crowd had descended like locusts and filled bags and containers to take home.  Not to worry, I still have plenty.  It's the company I treasure on Thanksgiving Day and the leftovers I enjoy after they leave.

The clouds that marched eastward yesterday got organized and the promised rain began last night.  After an evening nap, we all went to bed early.  It's a very stormy morning and I've got to put the window coverings up on the goat barn.  That's farm life.

No comments: