Thursday, November 20, 2014

Wading In Jell-O

There are those days when I do keep moving ahead, but slowly.  I'm still washing windows.  A wicked, fierce wind drove what rain we had yesterday so I'm saved the work of cleaning the outside of the glass (big smiley face here).  I'd had enough sense to put the empty trash barrel into the shed so I don't have to chase it into the next county today.

Milking took longer than it should have.  It's not that the girls aren't cooperating.  Some days the teats aren't as forthcoming and it takes a lot more effort to extract the milk.  On a good day, I can empty Inga with 250-300 squirts.  Yesterday her milk was going every which way but into the bucket.  Over 400 squeezes later, the stand and I were drenched and sticky.  And she was only the first.  Weather being what it was, Tessie almost came in when invited and didn't go far when I had to go get her.

Cindy seems to be recovered from whatever it was that ailed her.  Her appetite has returned.  As worrisome as it was when she went off her feed, even worse was the fact that there were no droppings in her stall of a morning.  Goats are prolific poopers.  Even though she'd been doing some grazing, no poop pellets meant she wasn't processing her food.  The last couple of days, all systems are GO!  It's the little things that make me happy.

With Thanksgiving a week away, I'm on the countdown and must move faster.  Yeah, and how's that working?

Sunset was a bit of a dud last night.  The wind was enough to take the feet right out from under.  The sun goes down by 4:30 now, but none of the critters complain about going to bed early.  Ginger was stepping on my feet in her rush to get inside.

Sunrise this morning made up for sunset last night.  More stormy weather is in our forecast and that's a good thing, but a sight like this makes it all worthwhile.

If I could just get out of this Jell-O mold....

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

You are not alone in the Jell-O! Thanks for the pictures!