Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Can You Hear Me Now?

I'm old school.  I like going to a local polling place to register my vote.  There is a feeling of community as neighbors gather to cast their ballot.  I went shortly after the polls opened yesterday and was pleased to see a line had formed as I was leaving.  Evidently I'm not the only one who is old school.

Just as I was slipping my ballot into the box, I got a call from telephone Repair Guy who said he was on his way.  Yay!  Over a week without a landline had been rough.  True to his word, RG showed up and made a quick inspection at the house.  He said he had to leave to check the line at the incoming box, but would be back soon.  I explained that I might possibly still be in the barn as, regardless of the situation, the goats had to be milked and I was already running late.

I finished with barn chores and RG had not come back.  Either he'd found a big problem or had run away.  My relief was great when he drove up again, and I took him a cold soda as a reward.  Turns out there were three separate "bad" spots in the line.  He fiddled a bit here and told me to go check the phone.  Ta da!  Can you hear me now?  I've never been so pleased to hear a dial tone.

I had decided this was not the appropriate forum to express my political views (there's always Facebook for those comments).  I've never seen such down-and-dirty campaigns for any and every office, national and local.  They were disheartening, and left me worried about the fate of America.

Regardless of the presidential outcome, the world continues to turn.  The sun comes up and goes down.  The animals get tucked in for the night.  My phone works again.  As much as it can be, there's peace in my little world.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

There is something to be said for the sanctity of one's own little world!