Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Lady In Waiting

I waited all day Friday for the telephone repair guy (the landline went out last weekend).  No show.  They rescheduled "before 6 o'clock" yesterday.  I waited all day.  Late in the afternoon, I called to check on the status and finally got to speak to a real person.  "I'm going to send this over to (who knows who?) and expedite this."  Shortly after that, I received a recorded message that said, "We are unable to expedite this call and a tech has been scheduled for Monday, November 7 before 6 p.m."  Well, since yesterday was November 7, I didn't know how to respond.

My milk customer called (on my cellphone) and said he'd be here in a half-hour.  Forty-five minutes later he called again and said he'd be here in forty-five minutes.  An hour and a half later, he came to pick up milk and eggs.  Sigh.

It's amazing how much one can accomplish while waiting.   John Dear and I decided to mow the south yard (in the background).  In the foreground is the half-mown slope to the backyard, showing how high the star thistle is, and was.  Another project for another day.  John and I are getting to know each other.  With the wider deck, I found it took fewer passes to clear that yard, but Fu and I had our pattern down pat and John and I have to work out a new system.

One thing that comes sooner than expected now is sundown.  It sneaks up about 4:30.

I'm waiting for my body to acclimate to the new time.  Body says, "Wake up! It's 5 o'clock!"  Eyes tell me it is only 4 a.m.  Makes for a long day.

I'm waiting for an appropriate hour to put in yet another call to the phone company, hoping they didn't take me off the list, perhaps thinking that a tech came out yesterday.  Who knows how long I'll have to wait to be rescheduled.  If, by some strange chance, a tech comes out today at the wrong time, he'll have to wait for me to come back from voting.  I have priorities, too.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

Wow, your land line tech would make me pull out my hair. I pick up grandchildren in the morning and sometimes take them home in the afternoons, and boy the sun is in different places now (AND we had 90 degree weather today!)