Friday, November 11, 2016

Climate Change

I don't need a calendar to tell me we've had a change in the seasons.  The first, biggest, and best sign was when Deb and Craig came up last week and Clay the week before.  Summer heat and no A/C means I rarely see my Kids from Mother's Day to Thanksgiving.  I never get used to hot weather, but it always surprises me how quickly I acclimate to cool/cold days and nights.  Now temps in the 50s are shirt-sleeve weather, no jacket needed.  Sitting out on the deck in the shade with Bessie Anne yesterday was so pleasant.  A light breeze ruffled leaves in the oaks and whispered through the pines.  Dead leaves fluttered down.  Bess lies under the little table with her head on the bottom of the railing.  I often wonder what thoughts are going through her head as she watches birds and leaves drift by.  Turkey tribes are coming in greater numbers and the toms are really strutting their stuff, sweet-talking the ladies and hoping to impress.  Two more deer, both does this time, were inside the garden area in the morning.  If I'd actually planted a garden, I might feel differently about catching deer in there.  As it is, they just add to the pleasure of the day.

Camille, my friendly local produce pusher, called to ask if I could use some (more) tomatoes.  Arden had already planned to stop by this afternoon, so I told Cam that if she could stay for dinner, yes, bring tomatoes and I'll make a Summer Tomato Pie.  It might sound strange, but it's a recipe I've made many times before and it's delicious, a perfect way to celebrate the climate change.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

I love to hear of your impromptu gals' dinners - makes me smile!