Saturday, November 12, 2016

Carry On

America is in such turmoil right now, so I was grateful for a friend's words, reminding me of Winston Churchill's quote during WWII, "Stay calm and carry on."

And carry on I do.  There is something to be said for sitting by a goat, resting my head against her warm side, hearing her stomach gurgle and listening to milk hitting the pail.  (FYI, there's a great word for stomach rumbling:  borborygmus.  Feel free to throw that into your conversation anytime.)  The mice in the barn care nothing for politics and come out for breakfast just the same.  In the chicken pen, Betty comes up for a cuddle and Jealous Jennie stands on my foot, waiting for her turn.  Bessie Anne, my constant companion, and I sat on the deck as we do to enjoy the panoramic, ever-changing sky.  These quiet moments soothe the soul.

I had the pie shell baked and most of the prep work done when Cam arrived bearing a tub of those marvelous strawberry tomatoes and Arden brought a variety of delicious fixings for salad.  All that remained for me to do was dice the tomatoes, mix everything together and pop the pie in the oven.  This impromptu dinner party with friends was a great opportunity to share views, talk books, and best of all, laugh.  The pie came out bubbling with cheesy goodness, full of ripe tomato flavor, and we darn near demolished it last night.

It was a good day.  I needed that.  Carry on.

1 comment:

Kathryn Williams said...

I didn't know it was Churchill who started the "Stay Calm" comment, but it certainly has had many, many, many iterations on t-shirts and posters and people think of fun ways to and the words after "and..." Your pie sounded yummy.