Friday, April 2, 2021

Watch Out

The darndest things happen when one's attention is elsewhere.  I almost missed the blooming of the remaining plum and almond trees here, and wouldn't that have been a shame.  I often think of the orchard I'd planned and planted in the northwest field, and all for naught.  At least twenty fruit trees dead from my ignorance of the ground squirrels that ate the roots, leaving a forest of skinny dead trunks as a sad reminder.  I've had to get my blossom fix on the trips to and from town.

I'm on constant watch for deer these days.  There were four in the back yard the other afternoon.  They seemed to know that Michael and I were no threat.  They stood like statues while they checked us out and then went on grazing on the growing green grasses.  Six crossed back and forth on Irish Acres across the way last week.  Such graceful creatures.

My mother was born on Easter in 1904 and they named her Esther.  Her birthday has fallen on that holiday only four times in all those years.  I thought she might make it this year, but missed it by a day.  I guess it's like those kids born in a leap year.  Easter is going to go by the wayside again this year.  No family gathering, but Deb told me that Craig wants the exact menu for their dinner.  Nice to see a tradition carried on.

My brother-in-law Stan is coming to my rescue next week.  I have an in-hospital procedure scheduled for Friday and was getting a little desperate for a ride to and from.  It's an in-and-out thing, but those in charge insisted I could not drive myself.  Stan volunteered to give me a whole day, coming up from the valley to be here by 6:30 a.m. and waiting around until afternoon.  That is a true act of kindness.

Helper Dude is coming tomorrow.  If Fu Manchu cooperates, Dude will mow down the west field.  That always improves the view, as well as lessening fire danger.  This place needs a major cleanup.

Stay safe.  Be well.

No comments: