Monday, October 18, 2021

A Poe-m

The writings of Edgar Allan Poe made a tremendous impression on me when I was young, due in part to a high-school English teacher with a flair for the dramatic.  Hearing him read 'The Tell-Tale Heart' sent shivers up my spine.  We had a good, long, steady rain last night, enough to bring out the rain beetles and Poe once again came to mind.  Sitting alone with the cats and dog, a tapping at the darkened windows...here, then there, is enough to bring up 'The Raven.'  "...suddenly there came a tapping, As of someone gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door."  Turn off the sound on the tv to better hear what I thought I'd heard.  Yes, there it is again.  Even now, after thirty-odd years, that random tapping at the window out in the dark quickens my heartbeat.  Rain, tapping, ah yes, the beetles are back, and I return to my program.

Who says there's no drama here.

Stay safe.  Be well.

No comments: