Friday, July 2, 2010

Addendum

Eleanor Roosevelt said that courage is doing that which you cannot do.  If that is so, I'm awarding myself a small badge for today's efforts.  Not that I'm finished.  I'm on a beer break because the mower left me no other choice.  (Of course, there's always a choice.  I could have gone straight for the Jack Daniel's!)  I did get some fairly decent swaths cut next to the chicken pen in the orchard and some good-sized patches and pathways cut under the oaks, burying the wheels up to the axles in loose dirt and leaf mold at one point, dropping into one of those squirrel pits and spinning the drive wheel at another.  Clinging like a burr and holding on with a death grip, I managed to hang on and do that which I cannot do...until the little tractor said, "What the hell are we doing?!," and quit.  Engine won't turn over.  No go no more.  I'm hoping, since it is down at the bottom of the hill, that it just needs a rest and a little quiet time (which I have promised!) and then will allow me to drive it back up to it's own space in the barn.  Otherwise, Eleanor and her courage be damned, because I'll leave it there and call it yard art.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Can't wait for the addendum to the addendum! And it had BETTER start. Have you read it "The Little Engine that Could??"