Monday, July 12, 2010

Hot Dog!


With rising temperatures, Bessie Anne moves from the hearth to the tile entryway, trying to find a cool spot to sleep during the heat of the day.  It was time for her summer buzz cut to lose her thick winter coat (first photo).  She gets a heavy ruff across her shoulders that always makes me think of the Yale collegiates during the Twenties with their raccoon coats.  They were called the Boola-Boola Boys.  I could not get her to look at the camera for the "after" shots.  There's something about getting a haircut that creates embarrassment for a dog.  As Dave said last night, now comes a week of saying, "Oh, you are so pretty!," and, "My, what a beautiful girl!," trying to rebuild her self-confidence.  Actually, Bess succumbs to flattery pretty easily, and in a week she'll think it was all her idea.  Now if I could just find a shearer for Poppy.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

I don't think I have a snappy comment...but do tell Bess that not only is she a pretty girl, but those ol' burrs will have less to grab onto...and DO teach her the words to the Whiffenpoof Song!